Visa to Australia for Indian citizens

Visa Requirements for Australia for Indian Citizens are described in the process below.

To get a visa for Austarlia, indian citizens must choose the type of the visa their want.

Australian consulate outsources visa processing in VFS visa services company. VFS website provides a wizard that will help you what type of visa you should apply for.

Here below are the general information for tourist visa application process.

The visa type is Visitor visa (subclass 600)

This visa lets you visit Australia:

  • to visit or for business purposes
  • for up to three, six or 12 months.

The base application charge for this visa ranges from AUD130 to AUD335.

If you hold a certain passport, you might be able to apply for a free or cheaper visa.

The eVisitor (subclass 651) visa is free. You must be a passport holder of a certain country.

The Electronic Travel Authority (subclass 601)visa has an AUD20 service charge. You must be a passport holder of a certain country.


You might be able to get this visa if you are travelling to Australia:

  • as a visitor
  • for business visitor activities
  • to visit family
  • on a tour with a registered travel agent from the People’s Republic of China.

You have to use a paper application.

Use this checklist to make sure your application is complete.

Visa application requirements differ from country to country.

If you are applying outside Australia, your nearest immigration office outside Australia will tell you exactly how to lodge your application and what documents to provide.

Approved Destination stream:
Contact your travel agent. Your travel agent prepares your documents and lodges your application for you. If you apply for this visa with an approved travel agent for a tour that is part of the Approved Destination Status scheme in China, your approved travel agent will lodge the application form for you.


  • A completed application form.
  • Find in this article the list of forms and links

Receiving assistance


Your identity

  • Certified copies of the biographical pages of the current passports or travel documents of all people included in the application (these are the pages with the holder’s photo and personal details and the issue/expiry dates).
  • One recent passport sized photograph (45 mm x 35 mm) of each person included in the application.
    • These photographs should be of the head and shoulders only against a plain background.
    • Print the name of the person on the back of the photograph.
  • If your name has changed or the name of anyone included in your application has changed: a certified copy of evidence of the name change.
  • Certified copies of birth certificates for you and any other person included in the application. The certificates must show the names of both parents of each person.

The character requirements

  • If anyone included in the application has served in the armed forces of any country: certified copies of their military service record or discharge papers.

Documents to show you are a visitor

  • Evidence of sufficient funds, such as personal bank statements, pay slips, audited accounts, taxation records or credit card limit.
  • If you are visiting relatives or friends, a letter of invitation from your relative or friend in Australia. If your relative or friend is paying for your visit, evidence that they have the necessary funds.
  • If you are visiting under the Tourist stream: Your itinerary for your stay in Australia.
  • Other information to show that you have an incentive and authority to return to your home country, such as:
    • a letter from your employer stating your intention to return to your job
    • evidence of enrolment at a school, college or university in your home country
    • evidence of immediate family members in your home country
    • evidence of your visa or residence status in your home country, and your right to return
    • evidence of property or other significant assets owned in your home country.

Children younger than 18 years of age

  • If you are younger than 18 years of age: evidence that every person with a legal right to decide where you live consents to your travel to Australia on this visa. If one or both parents are not coming with you, provide:
    • astatutory declaration giving their permission
    • Form 1229 Consent form to grant an Australian visa to a child under the age of 18 years (125 kB PDF).
      If you use this form, you will have to attach a certified copy of your parent’s or guardian’s government-issued identification document (such as a passport or drivers licence) with their photograph and their signature.
  • If you are younger than 18 years of age and you will stay in Australia with someone other than a parent, legal guardian or relative: a declaration signed by the person who will be responsible for you in Australia
    • Form 1257 Undertaking declaration (125 kB PDF).
  • Evidence of enrolment at school, college or university.

Additional documents for the Sponsored Family stream

  • Certified copies of marriage certificates or relationship registrations for you and anyone else included in your application, even if they are not joining you in Australia.
  • If you are living in a de facto relationship: independent evidence that you have been in the relationship for at least 12 months (for example, joint bank account statements or billing accounts in joint names).
  • If you or anyone included in the application has been widowed, divorced or permanently separated: a certified copy of the death certificate, divorce decree absolute, or statutory declaration/separation certificate.
  • Evidence of financial dependency for all dependants aged 18 or older (such as evidence of current studies):
    • a certified copy of their birth certificate and proof of their relationship to you
    • proof that they live in your household
    • proof that they have been dependent on you for at least the 12 months immediately before you lodge your application.

Additional documents for the Business stream

  • Evidence of why you need to visit Australia on business, such as:
    • a letter of invitation from the host organisation in Australia
    • conference registration details
    • a letter from your employer stating the reasons for your visit
    • your itinerary, with contact details of the business parties involved.
  • Your educational or professional qualifications.
  • Your current employment and your role during your visit to Australia.
  • Details of previous contacts with Australian businesspeople or organisations.
  • Documents to show that the company you work for is an actively operating business, such as a business registration certificate or annual report.

About the Author

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: